Air Conditioning Repair Costs And Estimates for Maryland
Spring is here and summer is not far behind, it’s the time of year where HVAC contractors are busy tending to air conditioning repairs!
When your air conditioning malfunctions, it can put you in a bit of a sweaty situation.
Let’s walk through all the different types of repair costs, and ways to avoid these astronomical expenses and maintain your HVAC health.
What are some of the repairs I should know about?
AIR CONDITIONING REPAIR COST: SERVICE CALL
When your cooling system fails, the first repair cost you’re charged is the service call charge.
- Most air conditioning repair establishments charge this fee in exchange for their time and diagnostics to evaluate your cooling system.
- Most service call charges cost you approximately from $50 to $100. In the case that an emergency happens and you are in need of an air conditioner repair overnight, over the weekend, or on a holiday, you could be looking at double.
- Many air conditioning businesses offer special deals, coupons, or other savings that eliminate or deduct the service call fee. Be sure to visit your contractor’s website or ask what offers may be available to you.
AIR CONDITIONING REPAIR COST: PARTS AND LABOR
Once your HVAC contractor analyzes your air conditioning, he or she provides you with a cooling system repair cost appraisal for the service your system needs. This usually includes labor and parts, unless expressed otherwise.
Cooling system repair costs vary on the specific problem you have. The average air conditioning repair charge in the United States is around $300. Below, are a few examples of parts that may malfunction in your system, and what you could be paying for them.
- Replace drip pan: $250 to $575
- Recharge refrigerant: $250 to $750
- Repair fan motor: $200 to $650
- Replace condensate drain line: $20
- Repair refrigerant leak: $200 to $1,500
TROUBLESHOOTING TO AVOID AIR CONDITIONING REPAIR COST
These prices seem like a lot, however, sometimes, professional repairs are the only way to mend your cooling system’s function. But, it’s always a smart plan to conduct some troubleshooting steps before you pay air conditioning repair costs.
Many problems you may face with an air conditioning system can be deduced to simple errors, which are amenable by homeowners. Issues that stem from the system’s power source or the air filter may be an easy fix.
Below are some tips and tricks for troubleshooting some specific errors within your air conditioning system.
Troubleshoot AC Power Source Issues
- Start with your thermostat. Check your settings to confirm they are correct. The temperature should be placed a few degrees under your home’s room temperature, and the cool setting should be selected. Be sure that hold or vacation modes are turned off.
- Inspect the batteries in your thermostat. If hardwired, examine your breaker box to confirm the breaker that powers the thermostat has not tripped.
- Look at the on/off switches near your indoor air handler and outdoor condenser unit – confirm they are turned on. They are typically located either on the unit or on a nearby Review your breaker panel again to be sure that power has not been cut off to the equipment from a tripped breaker.
Troubleshoot AC Filter Issues
- Be sure your filter is properly installed into the filter cabinet and is in the correct direction. Examine the airflow indicators that are on the filter’s frame. The filter should fit snugly when inserted in the compartment, and be the proper size.
- If your filter is dirty, remove it and replace it with a clean filter. If you have a washable filter, follow the manufacturer’s directions for cleaning, and allow it to dry thoroughly before reinserting it.
We know an air conditioning malfunction is the last thing you want to deal with, especially this time of the year.
We offer many different resources to assist you with your system and care for it to avert the likelihood of repairs, and repair costs.
Wrapping It Up
If you are inexperienced with cooling systems please “look but don’t touch”. Even if you are experienced you should still consult an expert for any issues your system may be having.
Contact Southern Pride Service, Inc to schedule an appointment with our friendly Southern Maryland HVAC technicians today. We are here to help with choosing the right air conditioning system and making sure your installation is done right the first time.